Reading Now

The Guermantes Way
A Clash of Kings
The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes

29 August 2013

Shōgun- My End to Summer Reading

For a little over a week, I read 100 or so pages a day as I devoured James Clavell's Shōgun. It was a serious read-a-thon that ended late one night, at 3 AM. An epic tale set in the year 1600, the novel chronicles the arrival of the Dutch ship Erasmus, captained by the Englishman Blackthorne, in a still very isolated Japan. Arriving in a land where customs, language and dress are ostensibly incomprehensible, Blackthorne quickly adapts to the world around him. Many characters, as the story progresses and Blackthorne's power and influence grow, suggest that perhaps in another life the captain (Anjin-San, as he is called) was once Japanese himself. How else to explain his quick adaptation to the life and language? As Blackthorne tries to secure trading connections for his country, he ends up getting embroiled in more than he asked for.

The novel is filled with tensions.The Spanish and the Dutch, who already have a presence in Japan, are hostile to the newly arrived Dutch and English crew. The Catholic priests, who facilitate trade between Japan and China, face the displeasure of many Japanese daimyos and samurai who dislike their interference and influence. More particularly, Blackthorne finds himself a pawn in the battle between Toranaga and Ishido, two daimyos who serve as part of a ruling Council of Regents. The novel also features a love story between Blackthorne and Mariko, an astoundingly courageous woman samurai who loyally serves Toranaga. Shōgun moves through war, courage, death, and power, as demonstrated by the warring daimyos and their sometimes not-so-loyal vassals, and Mariko's character is rooted in this and more. Her humor, intelligence, tenderness, loyalty and sensuality make her stand out amongst many characters.

As a piece of historical fiction, the novel is loosely based around exploits of real people and attempts to illustrate areas of Japanese ideology and world-view, including explanations of karma, bushido, and Shinto. Haiku competitions, death haikus, tea ceremonies, and seppuku are present throughout the text and help to explain a sense of Japanese life in the 17th century. How accurate the novel is, I could not say. I know not if the dialogue between the Japanese characters, though seemingly appropriate in my mind, was really how they would speak-- but I do not care much about any of that. As far as I'm concerned, this novel was a wonderful submersion into Japanese life at the cusp of the Edo period. Scenery and atmosphere were vivid and absorbing. Personally, this was one my favorite parts about Shōgun, though it sometimes startling in its lack of mercy and strict understanding of obedience.

What I enjoyed most was the pace. Event by event, the complex plot moved at a steady enough rate that allowed me to keep up with a clear understanding while still being surprising and exciting. I made a hefty amount of notes at first but once I understood the set up, there was no need to keep referencing it. The novel relies on a complex web of characters, each with important allegiances and personal histories, but it is never too complicated to understand.

I don't know if I will ever read Shōgun's sequel, Tai-pei, which I have had for years after a high school teacher lent it to me. Instead, I have ready Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov and Auster's The New York Trilogy up next, probably starting with the latter then moving on to my first real Russian classic. I tried reading Anna Karenina once many years ago--I was too young and did not succeed!

Summer reading is officially over! My last year as a college student began this Monday and I couldn't be more excited. Some of my more exciting classes this year are Shakespeare and Deconstruction, 20th Century African American Literature (Toni Morrison is assigned!!), and The Seven Original Sins. With five serious classes, my work load this semester will probably be more than past times, but I truly am looking forward to working hard, reading hard. Especially after having the opportunity to read so many personal books this summer, I am going to really focus on my reading for classes. Starting of with W. E. B. Du Bois' The Souls of Black Folk.

Thanks for checking up with me! I recommend Shōgun to those who enjoy historical fiction, stories with a complex connection of characters, romance, and long novels. Until next time...

TheAvidReadr

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Shelf: Books on the Blog