Reading Now

The Guermantes Way
A Clash of Kings
The Sandman, Vol. 1: Preludes and Nocturnes

16 November 2013

Playing Catch-Up

I've definitely been a bad blogger! I have derelicted my duties for far too long. In the interim, though, I have read:

Breathless, Anne Sward 
* * * * * 
This novel was short and very unique. It follows a very strong relationship between a young girl and a boy who is older than her. Their relationship, though never sexual, is passionate and a vital piece of their lives. The novel takes some unexpected turns, and I felt the ending to be very satisfying. Though many readers may grant this book four stars at the most, I gave it five because it matched my expectations, if not exceeded them! I think I was an exceptional reader for this book; I very much enjoyed the writing style and organization, though by perusing other reviews I can see that that might have lost many other readers.




Bleeding Edge, Thomas Pynchon
 * * * *

I wrote a post for Bleeding Edge way back when but I never ended up actually putting it up! Maybe I will do so soon, as late as it will be. As much as I loved this book, and Pynchon in general, I gave it four stars because, personally, reading about dot-com business and the technology bubble just was not my thing.




Magic Mountain, Thomas Mann
* * * * *
This was an experience I should have recorded per chapter. The third major book I've read on time (the first being A Search for Lost Time, which technically I still have to finish; the second, Nabokov's Ada, or Ardor), Magic Mountain might be my favorite of the three. I particularly enjoyed how long it took me to read this book--throughout the whole novel, the reader is made to think about the experience of passing time. When does time feel like it moves faster? Is it actually moving faster? What about the instruments that measure time? What happens when days blend into one another so that time no longer exists? I read this book for about a month but never experienced boredom. It was in many ways a random book, but all I can say was that it was my type of reading!


Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern 
* * * *

Super fun and easy read, I wouldn't call this book great literature. Regardless, it had its strong points, including a spectacular ending (in my humble opinion), really cool descriptions, and a neat cast of characters.


The Third Life of Grange Copeland, Alice Walker
* * * *

I had to read this book for school, so the fact that it was not a book I'd ever have picked up on my own automatically dampened the enjoyment I found in it. 

We Are Water, Wally Lamb
 * * * * *

We are Water was my most recent read. As a devout fan of Lamb (I've read I Know This Much is True, She's Come Undone, and The Hour I First Believed), I was beyond excited when I heard he was coming out with another novel. We are Water was a scathingly real book--the characters are brought to life for the reader in a way that few novels can achieve. Lamb is a master at what he does, at portraying flawed humans we can essentially root for, people who are trying to find ways to maneuver  the turmoil, pain, and secrets that make up human life. Pedophilia and molestation, abuse and divorce are only some of the topics that the novel explores. The style of writing is perhaps what is most Lamb-like. The book is written in the POV of many different characters, and you really get into the head of each, adopting their thought-processes. There were a couple of things/moments that I did not like, but overall I thought his new novel was a great success, on par with his older works.

I probably have to stop buying so many books. I have too many on my plate and I worry I won't finish all of them! Here are some of the books I can't get off my mind, most of which I already bought:
1- Artist of the Floating World, by Kazuo Ishiguro 

2- Independent People, Halldor Laxness

3- Spring Snow, Yukio Mishima

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Shelf: Books on the Blog